Posted on: 22 October 2014
The last thing you need when arriving at your holiday house for that well earned break is a septic tank problem. You need to be able to trust your system to work efficiently and operate with minimum maintenance, and needless to say, remain odour-free.
Fortunately, a well-designed and constructed septic tank is easily maintained by observing a few simple strategies. Follow these easy tips to have your septic system in optimum working order for years to come.
Understand Septic System Do's and Don'ts
The major rules to observe for a trouble free system are basically:
- to avoid using too much water
- to refrain from depositing any materials that cannot be decomposed by the bacteria inside the tank.
It is important to monitor everything that is placed into the system and keep the following recommendations in mind.
What Not to Do
- Beware of using excess water – releasing more water than the system can handle will cause a backup and overload the system as well as upset the sensitive biological balance
- Do not use of household chemicals excessively. You can make use of detergents, bleaches and cleaners that are designed for a septic system as recommended by the manufacturers. However, drain cleaners should be avoided as their chemical ingredients kill off the bacteria and disrupt the tank operation.
- Avoid introducing any of the following items into the drainage system: coffee grounds, cooking fats, heavy- duty paper towels, cigarette butts, facial tissues, disposable nappies and other materials that do not decompose readily. Putting these items into the drain is a recipe for disaster and will clog the system.
- Steer clear of planting any trees or quick-growing plants too near the septic tank area. Be safe and opt to have nothing other than grass planted around the system
What to Do
Make sure to use a good quality toilet tissue that easily breaks up when wet. Biodegradable products are made by leading brands and are readily available in supermarkets – just check the label for "septic safe" or similar wording.
Ensure that other water sources around the home are safely diverted away from the septic tank. For example, roof drainage and drain pipes should be directed well away from the area.
Use Professional Assistance
It is essential to have your tank cleaned and pumped out by a professional service every few years or, even better, annually. An inspection by an experienced specialist, such as Earthsafe Services Pty Ltd, can detect any signs of potential problems and prevent them before they happen.
Following these easy tips should ensure that your septic tank will operate smoothly and allow you to relax and enjoy your holiday house, far away from it all.Share